Friday, August 17, 2018

Curb Finds: A Telephone Table

~Curb Finds~A Telephone Table

by FriggleFraggle

We live in a typical city suburb neighborhood, winding streets lined with ticky tacky little boxes. It is fairly quiet for the city but louder than the country side that I am so accustomed to. Since we are on the edge of a big city we get the pleasure of having a little more space for nature trails and walking paths that someone thoughtfully planned when making this neighborhood. I am thankful for that!

Each night we go for a walk taking different routes to see new things. I love to look at the flowers and decorative gates that make the houses a little unique from one another.  I compare flowers and trees from here to where I lived before to get ideas of what grows locally so I can begin planting my yard. Taking pictures to capture the colorful beauty to hold on to throughout the year because winter is coming and it will be cold and white for a long time.

In this neighborhood, most likely in many others, when someone is wanting to part with a piece of furniture they will put it out on the curb for others to take.
I have found a few interesting items and have taken some to donate at the thrift store as well.

One of my finds was This Awesome Mirror!(coming soon)

This one is about a telephone table that was a little too rough to go to the thrift shop so I decided I would see what I could do with it.


This is what it looked like when I first picked it up.



It was covered in a thick layer of sludge and smelled of wet basement. So I got some cleaning supplies and started scrubbing.



Sadly it was in too rough of shape to take to the thrift shop. They would just trash it. 
I decided I would take on the project to see if I could fix it up. If not, then I would toss it to the curb next garbage day. I was up for the challenge!



I took the table and cloth parts off and started sanding. One of the legs was a little wobbly so I got some metal corner brackets and sturdied them all. Then I added the first coat of paint.


I chose black as the base color then added many layers of browns and gold.

I found these awesome curtains at the thrift shop and fell in love! They had 4 panels and one extra partial panel that was cut so I used the partial one to recover the bench.



It was a lot of work over a few weeks when I had a little free time. I am glad I saved this piece and gave it new life. It gets used everyday!



The gold dried a little sharper than when I first added it so I am thinking about softening it out some with browns. What do you think?







From Curb













to Classy












April
~FriggleFraggle~
Keep up with me on these links
Etsy
Instagram
Facebook
Tumblr
YouTube









No comments:

Post a Comment

Tutorial: Pictures and Frames

 Hey there! I decided to add in a tutorial for the Salem Witch Academy frames just in case there is someone who needs a little help with tha...